Interview with Yasin Zengin
1. When you were at Portland Place School and what how long were you there for?
I was in Portland Place School from 2007-2015 so from year 7 to year 13. When I first started there was no year 5 and 6!
2. What have you been up to since school?
Since I left school I went onto Queen Mary University of London to pursue a degree in Aerospace Engineering, will be graduating this summer.
3. Who were you favourite teachers at Portland Place School? And why?
This is a hard one - I loved 90% of the teachers. I don't know why it just seemed like they were very nice to me, I think it was because I was respectful to them. But there were a few that were more of 'mentors' than teachers - this is what I think made Portland Place School awesome. Dr Yazdi, a real legend, amazing person, always saw him as a second father, Mr Ahktar from Maths, Mr Soogund from Design & Technology, Mr Jones (the greatest art teacher ever), Mr Jones the head of sixth form, Miss Hunt and Miss Butler. But I probably had the best time in class with Mr Thompson, Mr Aaronson, Miss English, these teachers knew how to treat all of the students perfectly and in return we had a lot of respect for them, they also did make the subject 1000x more interesting as they were very intelligent and innovative at the same time.
4. What are your fondest memories of your time at Portland Place School?
Year 9 science class, I was with my best friend, studying a subject I enjoyed.
5. What was your funniest moment as a pupil at Portland Place School?
Funniest moment was the Duke of Edinburgh trip! Best 2 days ever!
6. Are you still friends with anybody at Portland Place School? And is there anyone you like to get in touch with?
I am more close with my Portland Place School friends than my friends from university, so yes I'm very good friends with them. However, it would be nice to have a big reunion dinner with everyone.
7. Describe your school in 3 words.
Great Learning Experience!
8. Do you still believe in the same principles as you did when you were a pupil?
Of course as you get older you need a more mature perspective, the principles have developed since then
9. What was your favourite game during play time?
We didn't have play time!